Thursday, June 11, 2009

Reflection: Self-Publication

I knew the time to self-publish one of our works was coming. However, it was seemingly so far off, I didn't give it much thought. The Spring quarter managed to fly by, as it always does, and I was faced with the assignment. I have turned many assignments in to teachers and professors, but this was new. I was naturally a bit apprehensive about it, especially seeing that I had no idea what I was going to publish or how I was going to do it.

I thought of writing another parody or submitting one of my works from this quarter. I then decided I would write an original poem and submit it to Poetry.com, which is both free and simplistic. I wrote a poem called, "Ode to the Summer," which reflects the excitement students share for the upcoming Summer break. It also accurately reflects some meloncholy feelings we have as we say "goodbye" to instructors and classmates. I usually don't associate too much with classmates outside of school, but being in the same classes for ten weeks allows you to somewhat form a small bond with them. I enjoyed this quarter, as it was not only an interesting one, but one of discovery. I changed my major to Communications and finally feel good and confident about the track I'm on.
This was a highly enjoyable English course and probably one of the best I have taken. I enjoyed the new and interesting format which involved web postings and non-traditional assignments. This class allowed me to finally be able to express myself creatively and have a little bit of fun with the assignments. I appreciated the fact the assignment requirements were flexible enough to allow students to write things "their way" rather than adhering to strict rules and guidelines. In addition to this, I found our textbook and corresponding assignments somewhat a breath of fresh air. Even though I came in a good writer, I learned a quite a bit about writing cohesively and concisely and feel I have come out a slightly better writer than when I went in. I basically honed my skill over the quarter.

With that said, below is proof of my submission to Poetry.com - It is a screen shot of the submission confirmation:


Link below, just in case the above is too small to view:

No comments:

Post a Comment